Friday, February 01, 2008

Spencer & Sex Toys



I learned something yesterday. There are alot of people in this world that do not check things out. I thought it was "common knowledge" that Spenser's had sex toys and that they were not hidden in the store. They, the toys are very visible and are even accessible to younger individuals, if they are in the store.

Yes, they have some great novelty items, signs, posters, beads, lava lamps and "old fart" t-shirts but it (a lot of their stuff) is very sexual. I do not agree with everything that is in the store and I do not think it is appropriate for them to have them available for young kids to buy ... However, I want to emphasize an element that shocked me.

On the 11 o'clock news, they did an investigation piece on Spensers. They took cameras into the store and showed middle school boys laughing at the sex toys, they showed Amish girls looking at racks of items and giggling at the toys, they showed a 4 year old with items in her hands (not sure what it was ) and it went on.

Spencers state who they target and they have adult content signs on their entrance (at the bottom) and they think that "covers them". Their ethics could definitely be questioned.

However, what did shock me was the parents (in the interview) that did not know about the stores products. They say it has changed since they were teens. I don't really think so, they were eye-popping when I was a teen in the 80's.

So, to me, here is the point. Parents, we really need to learn what is going on with your teenagers and set limits and know what they are doing. Parents with 4 year olds .... I do not think that you should be taking your 4 year old into this type of a store.

Also, why are 9 and 10 yeard olds roaming the store by themselves anyways ? This could go to any store, let alone Spencers.

Congrats to parents calling the news team to do the investigation and warning parents about the dangers. I thought a lot of people if not all knew that. It was a good reminder to keep people informed and keep yourself informed about what is happening around you.

No comments: