Saturday, February 23, 2008

Glow in the Dark



Book Description

Got your faith? Check. Got your sphere of influence? Check. Got the entire world crying out for a breath of fresh air, a ray of light providing a glimmer of hope? Check, check. Now it’s your turn to make a significant impact on your world. Starting with you—your mind and deeds—Glow in the Dark will make you aware of your often overlooked beliefs, thought-patterns, and habits. Then, by concentrating on your family, church, workplace, and culture, you’ll see just how far a little light—you!—can go. The change begins when you’re willing to let God use you in every area of life.

My Thoughts

When I picked up the book and began to read the book, I knew that this one was going to be a little challenging for me. The book would push me into some uncomfortable places. The reason for this is that at times, the book is filled with what I like to call, "evangelism cheese". However, as I am looking for and at the books that I am going to read for 2008 (my goal is 75); I am hoping to be diverse.

Even though there were numerous places in the book that made me cringe, made me roll my eyes and whisper, "ooooh, brother", there were elements that really rang true and that I thought were very good.

The book was a good example of looking for nuggets of true and inspiration in places that you normally would not look at or expect. Thus, I will share with you some of the paragraphs that I liked and parts will give you a glipse of what the book covers.

Inside Book Flap

Recognize the battle for the lost souls and impact the kingdom of heaven! Glow in the Dark will show you how to:

- See in the Dark by Thinking Biblically
- Shine Through the Dark by Living Righteously
- Pass the Torch by Building a Healthy Family
- Become a City on the Hill by Building a Healthy Church
- Display the Flame by Impacting Your Marketplace
- Light Up the Flame by Influencing Your Culture

Development of Book

We will begin our book by addressing the nature of this war and its most important and most vulnerable front - the mind.

Next, we will look briefly at some of the challenges in our society and how each of us can make a difference.

Finally, the balance of the book will deal with the solutions. We are big believers in glancing at the problem (thinking critically) and gazing at the solutions (having a positive, can-do spirit).
(pg. 14)

Highligh Paragraphs to me

Imagine a time when the body of Christ works like one organism, where every part is healthy and performing at its peak. Imagine a time when society takes on the face of the church rather than the other way around. Imagine a time when the body of Christ is known by its love - by what it is for instead of what it is against. Imagine a time when the body of Christ actually glows in the dark places of the world. (pg. 100)

It is not too big of a goal to expect God to use us in the communities in which He's placed us! Is our faith big enough to believe that we could be a change agent in the community? 9pg. 112)

Ultimaley, this book is about leaving a legacy, what we leave in our wake, what kind of impact we make, how we allow God to use us. It is about choosing to live in such a way that lives are different because of our influence (pg. 142)

Progressive Discipleship:

- Be a Model
- Take the Initative
- Multiply Yourself

(pgs. 152 - 160)


Christian Evangelism Cheese

This is my term. One that I know that 'offends' some and to some the statement irritates because they take it to think that I do not take the "gospel" seriously; that is not the case. Below is an example from the book that fits into the 'christian evangelism cheese':

Ron was on an airplane flight and here is the conversation that occurred:

Ron's Seatmate: So, what do you do ?
Ron: I am an ambassador
Ron's Seatmate: You're a what?
Ron: I'm an ambassodor
Ron's Seatmate: What country do you represent?
Ron: Oh, I represent something far larger than a country
Ron's Seatmate: Oh, what do you represent?
Ron: I represent a kingdom
Ron's Seatmate: What kind of kingdom?
Ron: The biggest! Whereever I go, I represent the King and His kingdom. I'm an ambassodor of Jesus Christ.

He then shared 2 Corinthians 5

(pg. 51)

Depending on where you are at, you may, you may not like this book. But, I think that you can pick it up from Amazon for $ 1.99; so it might fit in the budget.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what "nuggets of wisdom" did you take from this book? Just from reading your summary, it would appeal to those who are not in ministry, per se. The topics and comments make me think of my everyday battles with serving in a world of greed and corruptness (finance), trying to be a light in the darkness. Don't get me wrong... I very much agree with the "cheese"!

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Susan,

I did not know that you were the ex-wife of DP ... Can you share the story with me ?

I think the book could be more beneficial for those working the "secular" field. There are some good pages for employers and employees.

I am sure that there are numerous that "like the cheese". It is just 'not me' anymore.

Anonymous said...

I simply couldn't take the colorful language! To boot, he expected me to listen to him and think! All that growth was exhausting! I had to get out of the country and run to the Deep South where it's safe! Very little challenging thoughts going on down here! It's all black and white. Whew!

Actually, I'm Nator's alter ego (or at least that's what I read, so it must be true!).

I like cheese, but only the cheese I can eat!