Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lent: Day 2

Today's devotional reading touched the heart. The focus of the reading was on Matt 6:6; where we are to pray to God in the secret.

The reason that it touched by heart is that there were two words in the reading that echoed loundly in my soul: still and occupy.

For you see, to be still is a great way to connect to God. As the writer eludes to, when water is still, you can see deeply. In our stillness, we need to find the solitude to connect with the God of the Universe. He has created this world and He has created us and we need to push everything aside and spend some time with Him. We need soliture: alone time. just God and me.

However, worldly things seem to occupy my thoughts. These things are very important. For example, as I was trying to enter into "solitude", my mind was racing with what had occurred today (breakfast with Jacob), emails that needed to be answered, finally reading for my sermon prep, confirmation tests and more. These things were "banging at the door" wanting in and wanting to occupy my thought process. But, I needed to relax, push them to the side and say, "you can wait". I need these minutes with God.

The short lesson for Lent ended with this prayer thought: Lead me beside still waters that I can drink deeper of you, the water of life.

No comments: