Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Clinton Edges Obama in Debate



Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton signs autographs after a debate with Barack Obama February 26 in Cleveland, Ohio. The gloves came off between Clinton and Obama Tuesday as they traded hard-hitting jabs at possibly the final debate of their marathon White House tussle.

I watched the debate last night and I believe that Clinton once again "beat" him in th debate format and has significant strength in a few key issues that we are/will face as a nation over the next few years.

However, Obama has been gaining great steam over the last month and a half. Not only has he been winning all the states recently and by a good margin; he has been eloquent in his speeches and his grassroot support is mind-blowing with nearly a million people giving money to the campaign.

I think that Clinto needed to give a few knock-out punches to secure Ohio and Texas and "stay in the race" and I DO NOT think that she did it. Yes, I think that she "won" the debate but not in a convincing enough way to "move" voters to her camp.
It looks like she may win Ohio but I do not think she will make progress in other areas.

It was interesting to watch some of the after-the-debate-coverage and listen to the "professionals". The things that I liked about the debate di not "sit well" with the professionals. Here are some of the examples:

- Health Insurance Conversation
- Hilary Clinton "joke" regarding SNL

I think that the Health Insurance debate which last 16 mins was very critical. Helth Insurance is a very hot topic and IS going to be a big platform for the Democratic Party. Thus, they need to debate this and get it ot on thetable. I still think that there is at least 1 unanswered question that both canidates need to answer.

The questions (in clear answer form) would be the following:

Clinton: How do you plan to cover everyone with insurance and how do you rebuke the claims on it being a mandate even if they can not afford it ?

Obama: The mystery number of 15 million os thrown around that would not be covered, yet you say they (all) will be covered; can you explain the gap ?

There were many other issues that were coveed and ones that I may dive into later but the two that I believe that will be very importat to individuals will be the following:

- NAFTA
- Foreign Policy

So, did you watch and what did you think ? I will give more thought / input in comment sections if anyone wants to discuss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the debates last night, there was a basketball game on, but I listened to the coverage this morning. I heard someone asked the question of "who won?" The answer was great. She said if you were for Obama, then he won, and if you were for Clinton, then she won. They really didn't change anyones mind last night. That is what I heard.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Nator:

From "their supporters", I would say that most of that would be true.

They delivered their 'normal' comments and what individuals hear are why they support that candidate.

Doorman-Priest said...

I know this was another piece of misinformation, but why would it have mattered if Obama had been a Muslim?

Thoughts From Jeff said...

DP:

Because our 'christian nation' ** cough cough ** would not elect a muslim.

He may be an 'insider' and he could terrorize us from the oval office.

That is the reason behind most of the bad logic. They then point to the fact that he does not wear a american flag lapel pin and he does not do the i pled to the u.s. flag and it mounts