Saturday, March 01, 2008

Healing & Hope

I was going to choose a title with a little controversity, but I decided against it. Maybe, if you twist my arm hard enough, I will give the name that I was thinking about posting this post under.

Today, I went to the following:

Focus on Healing & Hope: A Panel Presentation & Discussion On Spiritual Practices of Healing Prayer in our Faith Traditions. The description of the two day event was the following:

What are the healing traditions of each faith community? How have they been practiced through history, and are they practiced in the same way today? How do we see evidence of healing?

These were the participating "faith traditions":

LAST SATURDAY

- Uniterian Universalist
- Roman Cathloic
- First Church of Christ, Scientist
- Islam

TODAY

- Mennonite
- Hinduism
- Buddhism
- Four Square Gospel

Today, each presenter had a 12-minute presentation where they highlighted their tradition and how healing and hope plays into their equation. After each of them gave their presentations, we took a 10-minute break and those in the audience had the opportunity to write questions that each panelist would answer.

There were questions that were asked to specific guests (regarding their talk) and then there were general questions to everyone on the panel. The question and answer time was a little disappointing for two reasons:

1. The questions were not that good.
2. The Mennonite and Four Square Gospel Church pastor did not engage in the two
questions that was asked to the entire panel.

I am really not sure why they would not answer the question. I have a feeling that they did not want to give 'simple' answers after hearing the answers that were given. Ishwar Harris (speaking on Hinduism) gave a very in-depth (deep) answer and I do not think they knew how to respond. But, if you are on a panel discussion "team" and a question is asked to all participants; you need to give it a shot. It was also a very valid question in regards to the topic at hand.

Here was the question:

How does medical science and faith interact with one another as we discuss healing and hope ?

It is a great question in my opinion and NO, I was not the one whop asked the question :)

As far as the presentations were concerned, I believe that I enjoyed Paul Weinstein's the best. He spoke on Buddhism. He jokingly calls himself a "Budjew". He grew up a Jew and in his spiritual journey; connected with with the Buddhist philosophy.

Two Amazing Moments

The one thing that amazed me (during the presentations) and to tell you the truth, saddened me was that he (final presenter - Buddhist) was the one panelist that touched on compassion. He shared deeply about connecting with those who are suffering and that we need to have compassion.

I could be wrong, but I think compassion could be (cough, cough) a important theme within Christianity. Those representing the 'christianity' aspect of the faith tradition missed the boat ......BIG TIME

The one thing that amazed me (during the question and answer time) was the well thought out answer (on the spot) that Ishwar (representing Hinduism) gave on the following question:

What is going on here ??

He spoke eloquently on that we are all up here on a spiritual journey and we are all trying to help individuals in our faith traditions heal from suffering. He then went to speak about "relating to God" and how it is not about our will but it is about God's will. He gave a great Bible walk through on Abraham and Jesus. His talk was fascinating. He then spoke to the message of "wholeness".

I enjoyed the afternoon. The event was put on by the Wooster Area Interfaith Partnership. I wrote about their meeting that I went to a few weeks ago.

Their next event is going to be: How Green is Our County?

So, I ask you the following question; the question that was not answered by everyone. How does medical science and faith interact with one another as we discuss healing and hope ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a difficult question, as I have seen both sides. I have seen a very spiritual young mom with cancer, who everyone was praying for, die within six months and leave four children motherless. I have also seen situations where someone was "cured" overnight. So I truly don't have a good answer. I guess it is up to us to continue praying and believe that God can intervene in any situation. Why he doesn't do it all the time I don't know.

Studies have shown, though, that people who pray have a higher rate of success with medical issues. You can take that as God answering prayer, or hope prevails on the human body, or both. Either way I wish it would work all the time.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Nator:

Yes, we can argue and discuss the power of prayer and why it seems that God answers yes and heals some and says no to others.

However, I think that there is an important aspect that was ignored. The conjunction AND and how the medical field (science) and faith interplay with one another.

Now, the last part of your answer touches on this and there are studies that we can gleam from and these should have been expounded upon in the q&a.

From the panel, the Christian community was quiet and the Buddhist and Hindu gave very in-depth answers and wrestled with the q.