Sunday, April 06, 2008

So, You Want To Change

*** This blog is part of the Revolutionaries Synchroblog. The introduction of the synchroblog can be found here. When all are posted, I will add and edit and you can read everyone's thoughts on the subject. ***

The Topic

Individuals who are dissastisfied with the church and have walked away from the institution but yet they are wanting to connect with God and make a difference. There are questions that are geared to them by Glen. Those questions are the following:

1. What do they/you need?
2. What did/do you need as you as went/are going through this transitional phase?
3. How can a ministry or service help them/you?

My Take

There are rumblings in the institutional church. Do you hear them? In some of the churches the rumblings are loud. They sound like an earthquake is occurring. In some of the churches they are faint and don't hardly make a noise. The sound like someone occasionally hammering a nail into the wall to hang a picture up.

Yet, across the United States, there are people who are fed up with the institutional church and are leaving or at least packing their bags. Most of these individuals seem to be waiting for the last nail in the coffin to be nailed in. When that last tap hits, they are out of there.

Now there are many circles who are arguing wether this is a good thing or it is a bad thing. Is this "movement" and "shift" is it going to damage the Church or is it going to help the Church. That I believe is a discussion for a different day.

This post is for those who are hurt and dislussioned. This post is for those who have left or are waiting to leave. This group is diveresed. It travels across the plain from the soccer mom to the CEO to the pastor. Many of them are tired of the status quo and they are dreaming of more but they are not sure if there is more.

A few days ago, I was shuffling through a wide range of music. To be honest, I am not sure what the actual intent of the song is meant to be but when I heard the song and meditated on the words, I saw those individuals who want to make a change. The words of the song are listed below and a "youtube" is below. The Youtube is the same pic - but it is a recording of the song. Read the words, listen to the songs and then finish reading the article.

Right Now By Beautiful Republic

You want a change, it's written on your face
You feel alone, a little out of place

You hide away the scars and the mistakes
You've been tired, uninspired, something's going to give

Right now
He knows who you are
The light and the dark
He picks up your broken heart
Right now
He's telling the truth
That you will make it through
His love can rescue you
Right now
Right now

We've all been there, we're walking down the same road
So don't be scared, you're not out there on your own
Just take a breath and shut out the madness
Letting go is beautiful
There's so much more
Just waiting there for you

This is your life
The giving and the taking
A journey in the making
This is your life
The fighting and the kneeling
The hurting and the healing
Don't throw it all away...

Here is the Song:



People want to change. They want the Church to be what God has called it to be but the church is not. The reason it is not is that much of the institutional church (imo) is far away from the message that Jesus came and gave.

The individuals that are hurting and want to change, they see this and sense it. It pains them to see the Church in err. A difference is what they want. They really want the Kingdom of God here among the people. They want for His mission to be carried out instead of a Church Club.

So, the following questions were asked. I am going to answer them in simple terms and maybe expound when/if anyone wants to hear my opinions.

1. What do they/you need?

They need permission and encouragement. The "professionals" would say that they need their benefits. Thus, an organizations that could help provide insurance for people going "solo" would be beneficial.

2. What did/do you need as you as went/are going through this transitional phase?

They need support through words and prayers. They need safe places to vent. They need sabbatical plases to go and rest to be with God.

3. How can a ministry or service help them/you?

An organizations can be the "backbone" for the above. They can be the network resource for the, They can be the safety net for people to step out on.

Hmmm, not sure if this is where I wanted to go.

Dialogue and help me flush it out.

For those out there hurting. I am sorry.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm one of those who left. Haven't been part of a church for about 5-6 years now after the political bs.

Off and on I search for a church in the area. I found one not in the area and listen to the sermons as I can. But, it doesn't seem to exist in my area. Now I need to just join one that is "good enough" because my son needs to grow up with the knowledge and understanding that the Church is able to impart. And then, just like with me, he will be on his own to grow past the milk.

I try to get what I can out of online blogging (like this), and out of discussions with friends. But the Church just "feels" so wrong. It is hard to lay a finger on what. It is like an image of what it is supposed to be, but dimensionally shifted ever so slightly.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Geppy:

I hope and pray that you can find people that you can connect with.

I am one that is "paid". It pains me and hurts me when I see that people have not connected and felt it is best to leave.

Community can exist outside of "big institutional" church and hopefully those who left can connect.

However, it is my fear that many do not. Wether it be they got burnt too bad or they are just not sure what steps to take.

For those "in the church", it is vital to listen and hear your stories though.

It is my hope and reams that we (my family) can help and make sure that people can see the kingdom of God working in our community (town).

Roland said...

I'm one of the lucky ones.
We left a church that is in err.
We found a group immediately.
God gave us a sign.
Right at the end of our block to be exact. :)
We attended it for about a year and it folded due to lack of $.
But, and this is the great part, the pastor got a job at a church 45 miles away. Right down the freeway.
We didn't go there right away.
Big place.
3-4 thousand attend the 3 wknd services.
We tried to find something up here, but finally went down there to see why he went there.
We found out.
We are so lucky and blessed.
Most of the leaders of the congregation have been through the things the disaffected are going through right now.
They understand.
Pastor Dave Johnson is the one that got it all going.
Just by preaching grace.
It might be a long drive 45 miles adds up on the weeks we make it. Usually 3 out of 4. (I work retail)
But for the health of my soul it is more than worth it.
As I said, I'm one of the lucky ones.

Anonymous said...

I am one of the "paid", but I walked away 7 years ago. I was through with church. After a 4 year detox, and encouragement from the wife, we found a church we agreed with and connected with. The grace of God brought us to this church that was losing a staff member and I fit the bill. So I'm Back. Still struggling with the hurts of the past, but moving forward.

glenn said...

Jeff ~ I am encouraged that a "staffer" has taken the pulse of those on the fringe. Thanks for giving us the big picture. What a great song! ~ Grace & Peace

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Roland:

Glad to know that you have a church family that you can be connected to even though it is a long drive and that you are receiving what you need.

Nator:

I had numerous individuals tell me that I should have packed it in with some of the experiences that we have had with churches. however, I feel this is God's call on my life. It is a shame that some "staffers" have the heartaches that they do.

Glenn:

You are welcome and I love the song as well. I look forward to reading others on this subject.

Doorman-Priest said...

I can't win wherever I go. People just annoy me.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

DP:

can you flush that statement out for me.

Erin said...

I think your last line is a huge key..."I'm sorry".

Now granted people who have been hurt desire apologies from the people who hurt them, but even beyond that, they would like "I'm sorry" from the greater church, even those who haven't hurt the...not as an apology, but simply as a statement of sympathy...if you get what I mean.

Like we might say to our child who scrapes their knew when they fall off their bicycle...we didn't have anything to do with the injury, but we say "I'm sorry you were hurt" just because we want them to know we love them even though they DID get hurt. If that makes any sense.

Anyhow, that's my $.02

Alan Knox said...

Permission... encouragement... support... rest. I like the sound of those. I think we all need these from time to time, and we need people who are willing to offer them to us - along with a huge dose of grace and fogiveness and example.

-Alan

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Thanks for the words and thanks for breaking my post down into those 4 beautiful words.

Thanks for the link, hopefully, I can link everyone up later today.