Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Our Dog



Here is a piture of Bowzer a few months ago lying on the kitchen floor eating his spaghetti. He is "our beast". He is an indoor dog. He is big and loveable and is full of spunk (except when he is eating).

However, Bowzer is getting up there in years. He is about 10 1/2 and with his "weight" that makes him about 78 in human years.

He was at the kennel while we were on Spring Break. On Monday, when we were to pick him up, the kennel called and said that he was sick and was not acting his self. We called and set up an appointment at the vet.

When I went to pick him up, he came out of the door slowly hardly looking at me It was sad to see. He usually prounces to me with his tail wagging.

I took him to the vet and they ran some test and gave him some fluids.

For the most part, he has not moved from the kitchen floor. When I manage to get him outside, he is very slow and there have been cats outside and he does not even raise his head.

About 1/2 hour ago, we walked into the house ( the boys and me from school ) and he did not even move. He is not well. I knew it was not well when I was in the kitchen making food and he did not move or look up at the stove.

Jacob shared with me that he does not to go to the vet if we have to "put him to sleep" A few minutes ago, I went upstairs to hug and kiss Jacob. He was on his bed sobbing and praying to God.

I hope the day has not come for us to make decisions about the dog. We have dreaded the day. I am hoping that this (whatever it is) will pass in a few days and our dog will be back to his normal self.

If he does not make a turnaround, this is going to be very rough on our family. Especially the kids. He is a great dog. It kills me to walk into the kitchen and for him not to move. I just went in there and gave him some lovin'. A little tail bobbin but not much else.

I hate this .....

4 comments:

Kate Morningstar said...

Jeff, I'm so sorry. I hope it's something they can treat. Poor kids. And poor, sweet Bowzer.

Roland said...

Dude, that sucks.
When I was a kid, our dog had cancerous lumps. The decision was made for my folks.
I'll pray that whatever happens, God will hold everyone through it. Including Bowzer.
Peace.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

They think that his colon may be failing but we are not sure.

He will not eat and is barely moving. We will take it day by day.

We do not want him to suffer though.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Isaiah slept on the kitchen floor with him.

Bowzer usually sleeps in our room but with him being sick, the kitchen floor will be easier to clean.

Isaiah did not want Bowzer to be alone.

Bowz had a good morning. Still not eating, hard time getting up but he held his head high and looked around while we were outside.