Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm Fine With God ...It's Christians I Can't Stand

The full title of the book is actually called:
I'm fine With God ... it's Christians I Can't Stand: Getting Past the Religious Garbage in the Search for Spiritual Truth.



This book was a very good read and it dealt with a number of subjects that ring very true in my mind. Here are some of the issues that he deals with. Can you nod in agreement with the statements, or do you disagree ?

I'm Fine With God ....

1. ... but I Can't Stand Christians who Impose their Morality on Others

2. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Are Paranoid

3. ... but I Can't stand Christians Who Think They Are Correctly Right and Everyone Else Is Wrong

4. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Think Science Is Their Enemy

5. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Are Convinced God Wants Them to Be
Rich

6. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Fixate on the End of the World

7. ... but I Can't Stand Christians who Make Lousy Movies

8. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Don't Know What They Believe

9. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Think They Have A Monopoly on Truth

10. ... but I Can't Stand Christians Who Give Christ a Bad Name

I think that the great thing about the book is that it tries to peel back all the layers that we have had put on Christianity and really look at what Jesus and what He meant. We go with more than the history of Christianity then what Christ originally set us out on.

Words From The Authors

So, to our Christian brothers and sisters, we say, let's learn to laugh at ourselves, and let us learn from what we're laughing at. To those outside our Christian family, we say, much of your criticism against us is well-deserved. But Don't blame God. He agrees with you.

Bruce Bickel
Stan Jantz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I might have to read this one. Although, I still have three books on my desk that I haven't read yet. I better get on those.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

It is a good book. A book that you would enjoy reading.