Thursday, January 11, 2007

Win-Win in Conflict



The book that I have been reading this week is the following: Interplay: The Process of Interpersonal Communication

It is a book that is written by three different authors: Ronald B. Adler, Lawrence B. Rosenfeld and Russell F. Proctor II. I am trying to read books that are across the board and bring out some information that can be helpful not only to me but the people that surround me.

Recently, I have had a few different discussions with individuals that are going through conflict. I can say that there may be a few members on my ministry team that I have conflict with but we seem to be dealing with it in a fairly healthy manner.

Anyhow, the book mentioned above has a section on conflict. That is the section that I want to focus on today in this post. The best scenario outcome for conflict is a win-win situation.

In win-win problem solving, the goal is to find a solution that satisfies the needs of everyone involved. Win-Win's are esential in relationships. There is a 7-step process that was developed by Deborah Weider-Hatfield. Here is the process:

1. Define Your Needs
2. Share your needs with the other person.
3. Listen to the other person's need.
4. Generate possible solutions.
5. Evaluate the possible solutions and choose one.
6. Implement the solution.
7. Follow up the solution.

If anyone is interested in knowing any of these steps in depth, please let me know and I will share. Please remember, conflict is natural and unavoidable. Since conflict can not be escaped, the challenge for us is to deal with it effectively. If we deal with it effectively, it will strengthen the relationship instead of weakening it.

No comments: