Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Success in YM
Recently, I have been re-evaluating the way that I am doing ministry and what I ( we ) as a ministry needs to be doing. In that reflection process, I came across an old article from 2000 regarding Success. It was a ministry self evaluation study.
In it, came a few important questions. The questions were the following:
1. Am I programming or incubating ?
2. Am I managing or encouraging ?
3. Am I focused on the size of the youth group ?
4. Am I talking the faith or living the faith ?
5. Am I speeding up or slowing down ?
6. Am I playing with toys or worshipping God ?
7. Am I devoted to my church or to Jesus ?
Thanks to Tim Baker for writing those questions out and putting them in front of me numerous years ago. Throughout the next week or so, I am going to reflect and blog on these questions as it regards to my current ministry context.
The one thing that I am doing different is "investing". I am committed to investing in the lives of my volunteers this year. I am meeting with them and hearing their stories.
May we take the time and slow down ( oxy-moron ? ) and evaluate how we are doing ministry and ask the tough questions.