One of the areas that I have become connected with in the community is the Wayne County Children Services. We (myself and the church)are taking some steps in helping them out. My heart breaks for kids who are "in the system". The stories that they carry can be heart-breaking.
This post is going to be a little bit of national awareness and local awareness in my neighborhood. Most of these steps can apply to anyone. I am beginning to "adopt" them in my life and am encouraging my church community to adopt them as well.
Before I give the list of things that we can do (there are 10 of them), did you know that there are 500,000 children in foster care that need your help and that there are 115,000 children waiting to be adopted.
10 Ways You Can Help
1. Pray For Them. You can go on-line, see a pic of the children waiting for adoption, print that pic out; place it on your desk and pray that some one will adopt them.
2. Provide Them A Safe Place Consider becoming a foster parent. Attend an inquiry class to get first-hand look and information.
3. Give Them What They Need Organize a drive to collect close for children in foster care. In Wayne County, we have "Closet of Hope"
4. Support Those Who Support Them Minister to foster parents. Do yard work for them, organize a few days of food for the family.
5. Speak Up For Them Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate. They need to have a voice in their corner. Visit here for more details.
6. Cheer them On Mentor a child through your local children services office. Children with mentors get higher grades and improves relationships around them.
7. Raise Awareness About Them Wear a blue ribbon in May. When people ask about the ribbon - share with them about foster care. May is National Foster Care Month.
8. Give Them A Forever Family 115,000 kids are waiting for a family. There are many adoption sites. Start here. Also, call 1-800-FLTTODAY and order the book: Welcome Home: Eight Steps To Adoption
9. Give Them The "Extras" The goverment provides a lot for the families but the "extras" are not included. Help foster families by providing the "extras". In Wayne County, we have a program called "Foster Friends".
10. Mobilize Your Church For Them Launch ministries dedicated to the orphan and waiting child. Be a recruiter for Foster Families.
These are just a few ways that we can help.