Monday, October 22, 2007

The 10-20-30 Virus

I have finally got bit (twice). Alan and Jonathan tagged me. I have seen this going around for about 10-14 days and I think I am the 7th string of the virus.

What does it detail. it is very simple, you just share where you were at 10, 20 and 30 years ago. It is simply to allow others to hear a little bit of your story.

October 1977 - 30 Years Ago

I was living in New Cumberland, West Virgina. I was 5 years old and a star student in Kindergarten. Being 5, I was learning to tie my shoes but I was fascinated with numbers and was working on addition and subtraction and even working on multiplications. New cumberland is a small town on the Ohio River. Since I was 5, there was not too much to share.

October 1987 - 20 Years Ago

I was 15 years old and was a sophomore in high school. At this time, I was still fascinated with numbers and was planning out my high school career to be in the buisiness world. Those plans got wrecked a handful months later at church camp when I felt God calling me into the ministry. I was a rebel of a sorts. I had my long hair, hung around the rough crowd, listended to heavy music and was a drifter from crowd to crowd. I had just left the sports world and was just getting by. It was a transitional year for me because this was my first year of hs ( 10-12 grade) and we had 3 junior highs that flowed into it. The funny story that I will share was this ...

I was walking into the school and saw this "very hot girl". I had my eye on her and was hoping our paths would cross often in the hall way. My dreams came true as I was in English class hanging out and there she came through the doors - yes, she was in my class. HOWEVER, my dreams came crashing down fast as I realized she was 22 and my teacher.

October 1997 - 10 Years Ago

October 1997 might be the worst month of my life. There were some great things occurring but overall - it was rough. I would not want to live through that month again.

I was working in Pittsburgh, Pa at the time. It was about an hour drive each way. I was working anywhere between 70-80 hours a week depending on how much OT I could muster in. I was trying to balance getting a paycheck and being with my family. As you calculate the hours, you can tell that did not work too well.

My oldest son at the time was 1 month old. He spent the whole month in the hospital. So, in between the long hours of work, trying to see my wife and the son being in the hospital and not knowing the outcome for him; it was a nightmare.

My mother-in-law was also living with us at that time. She took off from her home in Illinois to come out and try to make things work for us. With her help, the house was managed and was an extra driver to get my wife to the hospital and to the house ( it was about an 1 hr and 15 mins each way ).

We had also came out of a very yucky church situation and was not sure which way to go. We were not sure if we were going to be in the ministry or if we were going to manage our lives with the business world.

To understand a little better for those who do not know our story, I need to take you back one month. September of 1997. Stacey was pregnant and had a horrendous pregnancy. She was sick the whole time and lost a lot of weight. The docotrs could not figure out what was occurring and they did not seem to helpful.

On Septemberr 4, 1997; they decided to deliver. She was 28 weeks pregnant. Isaiah came into the world at 13 1/2 inches long and 2 lbs and 3 ozs. He would drop to 1 lb and 13 ozs. They were not sure if he was going to make it or what his out come would be. Later that month, we heard workds like brain bleed, we are not sure if he will talk, we don't think he will walk, you may need to decide if you are going to keep him on the machines ... etc ...

For some unknown reason (we needed money), I went to work on the 6th of September. I received a phone call from my father-in-law that I needed to get to the hospital immediately. Originally, I thought it was for my son (he was in the touch/go stage) but it was for my wife. They had diagnosed what was wrong and they were doing emergency surgery to save her life. So, I drove from work to the hospital not knowing if they were going to be alive. Those hours were the longest .. where do I go / what waiting room should I be in.

So, those events made October very long and because of my son/wife; I did not know if I was going to be able to be in the ministry or what was going to occur.

10 years later, they are both with me. Isaiah is walking and talking. He is very active and he loves to play sports. Until recently, my wife had 9 good years. We have hit a few bumps the last 6 months (numeous surgeries) but she is alive and doing great.

This 30-20-10 may not have been how I planned to lay it out; but that is some of my story and where we are.

I am going to tag some individuals that I have not seen in the "virus circle". Thus, Trev, Kent, Dale, Deniese and Travis ..... share your journey.



Jonathan Brink said...

It's always cool to hear real stories that are honest. Thanks for sharing a little of your life Jeff.

Dreaming again said...

It is incredible to look back and see how God get us through the hard times ... God is good ..all the time.

'neice said...

Me or another Deneice?

Jeff Greathouse said...

Yup, you !!!

I should have linked everyone :)