Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Social / Interpersonal Well-Being

Social / Interpersonal Well-Being

Today, I take a look at Social / Interpersonal Well-Being. Listed below are the well-Being's that we are looking at all the spokes:

Spiritual Well-Being
Intellectual Well-Being
Physical Well-Being
Emotional Well-Being
Vocational Well-Being

How often do you complain of being “stressed out” or of having a stressful day? Stress is widely accepted as influencing health. Studies have found that the most stressful life events are family events. The most stressful event is the death of a partner or spouse. The second most stressful event is divorce, and studies have found that divorced individuals have higher death rates for any cause than singles, widowed or married individuals.

One of the greatest challenges for pastors and other professionals is to keep healthy relationships with partners, children, and friends in an occupation that often demands 24-hour responsiveness to others’ needs. Having a healthy support system is essential for health. Nourishing those relationships with time and attention is required. Beyond the emotional support that keeps us going every day, learning how to love deeply and knowing that we are loved is the fuel for serving others.

John 13:34-35

"And now I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. If you have love for one another, then everyone will know that you are my disciples."

This is an area where I am struggling a little. I am doing much better than I have in the past but I still do not really have a circle of close friends. But, I do have a good circle of aquanteances and folks that I come into contact with and have good causal conversations with (schools and sporting avenues). However, I know that I need to take this to the next step.

I am re-reading a book that I first read about 6 years ago. It is lighting a little fire under my feet. I will be finishing the book probably Monday. I am reading it at practices when I am not watching the kids or chatting with other parents. This is something that I NEED to blog about. It is also something that I need to involve my family in and how this may apply/effect our lives. More on that next week.

No comments: