Friday, January 11, 2008

Health and Welness

This life, therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way.

The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on.
This is not the goal but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed.
Martin Luther

I am in the process of trying to get healthier. I can honestly say that the bold aspect in Luther's quote is what I am doing and working on. The ELCA has a diagram on their website. It is a picture of a wheel. In the center (the hub) is you (a new creation in Christ) and there are 5 spokes going to the outer wheel (spiritual well being). The five spokes are the following:

- physical well-being
- intellectual well-being
- vocational well-being
- social and interpersonal well-being
- emotional well-being

I will let their words speak to me (and maybe you):

You are the center of the wheel as a new creation through baptism and a member of the body of Christ. Spiritual health surrounds, contains and supports us through faith and our relationship with God. Within the wheel are the individual aspects of wellness. To be whole means to keep these aspects in balance by intentionally nurturing and attending to each. If one area is neglected the whole will be out of balance.

Here is to wellness in '08. On Monday, I will give my update on how my first week went with my goals that I am striving for.

No comments: