Monday, May 26, 2008

Under The Overpass

Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America by Mike Yankoski is another book that I just finished. I read this book at the bus station in Columbus. I was completely blown away by the book and the stories that were told. In the front cover, I have numerous pages marked and stories that I want to remember. Some of them may be future blog posts but it is more of a reminder for me to care for the unfortunate and for those who are broken and hurt. For those who are discarded, for me to be reminded to help them in some tangible way.

Here is a preview of the book via video with Mike.



As he was telling his stories (they chose to be homeless for 5 months in 5 different cities), my heart was breaking. For you see, in numerous places they were turned away from the church. In churches, people would not sit by them, they were thrown off some of the churches property and more.

Why have we (churches) put up so many walls ?
Why do we constantly keep people out ?
Why do we not love people for who they are and where they are at ?
Why do we spend millions on building and we can spend it on people in need ?

So many more questions could be raised.

Some of the interesting things that stood out:

- he shared how most of the messages that he heard in homeless shelters were on hell
- can we say we know our creator when we forget the homeless (created in His image)
- powerful reflection on Colossians 3:12-14
- scripture (feed, clothe script) was placed for us to live, not just preach. If we
actually did it, there would be people who do not go hungry

Bonhoffer Quote

The exclusion of the weak and insignificant, the seemingly useless people from everyday Christian life in community may actually mean the exclusion of Christ; for in the poor sister or brother, Christ is knocking at the door.

There is so many nuggets of truth in the book. I strongly URGE you to grab the book and read it. Here is one finalsentence that really spoke to me - where I am at ...

Love can't cover wrongs if we let frustration and failure keep us apart.

I am not just asking you the following question, I am asking this to myself.

Are we really living out the Scripture ?

There are so many things that we could be doing to help others, but we are so self-centered and focus on our needs, our comfort and me me me me

2 comments:

Jeff Nelson said...

I read this a couple years ago. I really liked it. One of my favorite stories is when Mike is asked to leave a coffeeshop because he isn't a paying customer, even though he'd just bought a cup of coffee.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

yep ...

then it went to time limit - too much time had passed since you bought it

and then ....

it went to the backpacks

the church stories were the ones that broke my heart. this was tucked away on my shelf; i had forgotten about it

reading it in train/bus stations was kinbda appropriate