Sunday, May 11, 2008

Are You Going to Hell ??



On Friday, I was able to witness a fellow Christian "witnessing" to a young man (late 20's). After the witnessing by the fellow Christian, I looked at the man across from me and apologized. Let me share with you the scenario and where my heart aches.

We were up at the Cleveland Clinic on Friday. We had just finished up with Stacey's meeting with the surgeon. The surgeon had decided that she needs another procedure and for he to be put under anesthesia for the 7th time in 14 months, we had to go downstairs and have lab work and pretesting done.

Thus, we did the lab work and went to grab a bite to eat before we went to the pretesting. It was all going well, the meeting, the lunch, the lab and then ......

We went down the the pre testing waiting area. We sat down on a sofa. Directly across from us there was a couple that was sitting on a sofa waiting as well. There was a coffee table in between us.

The guys was a big guy. He had colorful tattoos on his arms. On his left arm, he had a full sleeve tattoo that was very colorful and patriotic. On his right leg, he had a very large American force tattoo. He had no left leg and had a very nice Titanium Prosthetics leg. The guy also had on a "message" t-shirt.

The t-shirt had a picture of the Taliban on it. Above the picture was the message Jesus Loves You. On the bottom of the pictures were the words: Problems Remain

When we sat down, we shared acknowledging hello's.

Stacey and I was reading and the other couple was sharing conversations and laughs.

A few moments later, a guy came by us, saw his tshirt and said, "I am a Christian, I want to give you someting." He reached into his folder and pulled out a pamphlet and gave it to the young man and walked away. The young man looked at it for 2 seconds and threw it on the coffee table and uttered the words: he must have not read the full t-shirt.

Stacey picked up the pamphlet (it was a, are you going to hell brochure) and briefly read it and mentioned: "I can't believe people still do this". She handed it to me and asked, "should we get rid of it so no one else has to see it". I said yes. I grabbed it and crumbled it up and threw it away.

As I sat down, I apologised to the young man. I said, I am sorry that he gave that to you without talking to you or hearing your story. He said thanks and remarked out he is tired of people trying to "sell Jesus" to him.

The gentlemen who passed out the brochure was passing out more to others without conversation. I am thinking that he was doing it and justifying his thoughts and actions by saying, " I am planting a seed ".

Not too much later, the wives left and I was there with him (Alan) and had the following conversation.

Jeff: Hey, once again, I want to apologize for the guy coming up to you and trying to sell Jesus. Sometimes, they can really be forceful.

Alan: Thanks for the apology but it was not you that did it.

Jeff: By the way, my name is Jeff. Earlier on, you mentioned that he must not have read your t-shirt, what does it mean to you.

Alan: My name is Alan. The tshirt to me represents religion and the fact that the problem is not going to go away - the problem being the middle east by screaming Jesus Loves You - won't do a thing. The things that are occurring in the name of religion over in the middle east is scary.

Jeff: So, have you spent time over in the middle east serving ?

Alan: Yes, I was over there. That is how I lost my leg.

Jeff: Thanks for serving. Thanks for your dedication.

Alan: Thanks, I appreciate it.

Jeff: The apology earlier, I meant it. At times, I wish that we did not give God a bad name. I really wish that we created places where we would show love.

Alan: *nodded head*

Jeff: Sometimes, I wish that I had the Dear God shirt on ......

Alan: What is that ?

Jeff: Dear God: Save Me From Your Followers

Alan: *laughs*

Jeff: Well, I hope that the appointments go well. I hope and pray that you will encounter Christians who care about you and love you for who you are and *smile* that not many more Christians will help pollute the enviorment by tracts going in the trash.

Alan: Yah ..... we will see .....

Time was up .......

I have got to tell you, I am at a point in my life where I am tired of Christians throwing tracts into the faces of people. If you are a person that is a tract person, may I request one thing of you:

Take time to know the person. Even if it is a few minute conversation. If you would have sat down and talked to Alan. If you would have known why he had his shirt on, why he was in the hospital, the hostility that he had towards religion; maybe you could have had a conversation and presented the gospel message that you thought he needed to hear..

I know that there are many who believe that this is the biblical way. I know that there are a lot that says, "How does that hurt Christianity?" Well, let me tell you, for Alan, another few rows of bricks were build between him and Christianity.

I truly believe that we have the greatest gift to give; however, I do not think that we know how to give the gift. Of course, I think that is because that we truly do not exhibit the life that Christ wants us to live.

Which beings me to a post that I wanted to do in the near future on a book that I need to review. I have read about five books in the past three weeks that I have not posted on .. of course I have not done my orange posts either or .... the list can go on, I am in a funk :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good post.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Thanks Nator.

I know many would be disappointed because I did not "seal the deal" or I did not go through the whole process.

However, to me, it was listening to him and giving him a little different perspective and my prayer really is that he will see/witness others who will touch his life and lead him.

Hope all is well in your corner, it has been awhile.

Doorman-Priest said...

I so enjoyed reading that. Some christians really, really irritate me too.

Brian Vinson said...

"seal the deal" -- that seems like the Holy Spirit's job.

I think you were the one "planting seeds" that will grow.