Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Feel Like S**T

No .... not me. I am feeling pretty well; thanks.

But those are the first words that I heard out of her mouth.

I was sitting on the bench is Columbus waiting (long wait) for the next bus to come in. This young girl walked in and she looked distraught and "out of it". I smiled at her and asked, "how are you doing?"

Her response, "I feel like s**t but thanks for taking the time to ask". Over the next 3+ hours, we had conversations on and off while we waited for the same bus.

My heart broke for this young girl (17) as she told me why she was feeling so down and out and why she was excited but nervous about her journey home to see mom and dad. Her life has been a train-wreck.

Her home life is not a bed or roses (in her opinion) and she thought it (life elsewhere) would be better a few states over with her boyfriend. She realized that was not the case and was headed home.

One of the things that intrigued me was her brute honesty on what she was feeling and her willingness to share it. It actually got me thinking about how individuals react with one another and had me asking, how do people make decisions on being open or closing themselves up (building walls).

I actually rode with her all the way. When I exited the bus on my final destination, she was not quite at her destination. I hope that when she walked off the bus, it was into the arms of welcoming arms. She believed that is what was going to happen.


On a side note, when we had our lay-over in Indy, she saw me on one of the benches and she asked me if I was planning on staying awake. I said yes, as I am reading a book and want to finish it. She asked if I would "keep an eye on her". She was going to "sleep" across the walkway on the other benches. She was terrified of what might happen to her. I agreed.

Well, we were on the "Amtrak" side of the terminal. It is both Amtrak and greyhound. This party came in (mid 40's ?) and one of the gentlemen sat close to her. I don't think that he knew she was there. She had her suitcase on the bench and a coat thrown over her - I think he thought it was a suitcase and a duffel bag. Well, he was loud - talking to his party across the walkway and with his voice - she flipped herself over. He "jumped" a little and went to the other side of the walkway with his friends.

His words to his friends, "she must wither be homeless or a greyhound rider"

UNBELIEVABLE.

The same party as they were getting up to leave, left a purse and a billfold. I noticed them. I grabbed them and took them over to them as they were boarding. They grabbed them from my hand .... no thanks at all.

Ahhhhhhh, lovely people. I hope that their cross necklaces and cross earrings was just jewelry and not a statement for their Christianity.

No comments: