Thursday, May 08, 2008

Preservice Training: Culture

As I was going through my notebook, i noticed that I never mentioned that I attended our preservice training class number six. Number six was on culture and once again, I headed over to Columbiana County for the class.

The class was very interesting as we took a look at our lives and the lives the children have lived in and what will happen when the two cultures collide. We did some role playing and tried to answer: what would we do if .......

There are a few things that "stuck" with me in class. Things that I need to keep in my brain and remember. They are the following:

- be an advocate
- each child will have different perceptions on reality
- we need to give them support
- we have the opportunity to show them another way of life
- you will see generational foster kids
- breakout of the stereotype mentality
- we need to redirect behavior
- you will be shocked and awed with some language and actions; be prepared

As I sat there and listend to the stories, my heart break. I want to do more. our current house can not handle many kids. In so many ways, I want to get a bigger house, so we can offer our home to more foster kids and possibly adopt more as well. However, I am not sure how this will be possible.

If anyone out there wants to help us achieve this dream, let us know. We really are ooking at this as a mission/ministry to our community.

BTW, Stacey and me both will be in class together this weekend. class # 1 tomorrow and class # 2 and 3 on Saturday.

No comments: