Thursday, August 09, 2007

Confessions .....

This week, I read the following book:

Confessions of a Reformission Rev: Hard Lessons From An Emerging Missional Church

I enjoyed the book and learning about Mark's journey as he led and developed Mars Hill in Seatle was amazing. There are things that he did and does that I do not fully agree with but the book was challenging.

The chapter titles were what caught my attention; here are three chapter titles that made me laugh. If they are wrong to laugh at them God; I am sorry.

Chapter 1: Jesus, our Offering was $137 and I want to Use It to Buy Bullets.

Chapter 2: Jesus, If Anyone Else Calls My house, I may Be Seeing You Real Soon.

Chapter 4: Jesus, Could You Please Rapture the Charismatic Lady Who Brings Her Tambourine to Church ?

In the book, he is very transpearant on his thoughts and ideas and shares about the individuals that he met with that helped / hurt and hindered the church process. If you are unfamliar with the church he leads; they went from a handful of individuals to 4,000+ a week in their first 10 years of existence. They overcame many obstacles including becoming homeless as a church.

At times, I think that my favorite part of the book was his thought provoking questions at the end of the chapters called " Reformission Reflection ".

Some of the q's that I digged:

1. Does your church exist for the mission or reaching lost people or primarily for itself ?

2. What ministry are you currently doing to help serve Jesus' mission in your culture through your church ?

3. What agendas and missions that differ from that of your church have people tried to bring in ?

4. What is the biggest hardship your church has faced ?

5. Is your church currently in the creative, management, defensive justification or blamming stage ?

That is a little glimpse. Maybe some day, I will dive into more of it here on the blog; but I am not sure. I have two books that I am reading and need to finish before Tuesday.

More on those later in the week.

No comments: