Monday, November 26, 2007

Who Are You ?

Recently, I came across another one of Merton's quotes that has caused me to sit back and reflect. The quote is the following: In order to become myself I must cease to be what I always thought I wanted to be. To me this is profound and difficult at the same time. At times, you need to "give-up" your pursuit so you can be who you really are called to be.

Too many times, individuals "speak" to us and by their "speaking"; they have designated who we are and who we are destined to become. Thus, we are chasing goals and aspirations that are not truly who we are.

What about you and your life ? Do you need to give up something to be yourself ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before the Lord found me, I was most interested in Buddhism and there wonderful sayings like this one, whether it is buddhist or not, it certainly has that ring to it!

I then like to discover them in the bible, there are some as we know the devil is not acreator but a counterfieter, so biblical truth often pops up in other religions. Not that that in any validates the other reigions in my view!

It is interesting that at this very moment our fellowship is having the issue of choosing elders. There is a strong call to recognise those who are elders. Which has the ring of "by their "speaking"; they have designated who we are and who we are destined to become." But I think it is valid that elders be recognised.

I think the Buddhist would see the need to release conscious though in order for the inner being to emerge. However, with us we are called by God. God has a plan for each of us and we need to find that plan.

I have recently given something up that appeared to be very fruitful but once I let it go it was a true release and I realised that it really was a case of I was doing it because it seemed good rather than truely being what God had given me. It was not easy to see and the only way I could see it was to give it up and see whether God gave it back to me! But far from it, the Lord has given me lots else immediately!

Richard

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Richard:

Giving up things is not an easy process; especially when you are giving up things that you believe "define" who you are as a human being.

May God be with you and your fellow journeyers as you navigate the waters of eldership.