Friday, September 12, 2008

The Church Is Not ....

The church is not a center for religious goods and service, where people pay a fee and receive a product in return. A church is not an organization that surveys its demographics to find out what the market is demanding at this particular moment and then adjusts its strategy to meet that consumer niche.

The way of Jesus is the path of descent. It's about our death. It's our willingness to join the world in its suffering, it's our participation in the new humantiy, it's our weakness calling out to others in their weakness.

-----------------------------

The previous two paragraphs comes from Rob Bell's new book. The book is titled: Jesus Wants To Save Christians.

I am skimming the book. Next week, I will probably read it from cover to cover, but as I skimmed the book this early afternoon; this paragraph jumped out to me and I wanted to put it out there.

No comments: