Monday, June 04, 2012

Weight Loss: My Journey

In the summer of 2011 when I cam home from the summer trips, I jumped on the scale and saw 212#'s and I gasped. The 212#'s on my 5'9 body was really beginning to show and to take a toll on this almost 40 year old. I decided that I needed to do something but nothing drastic because I was in no mood to really get in shape, so I wanted to squeeze under the 200# mark.

Christmas of 2011, we were at my in-laws and my kids were doing Wii fit and playing games on the balancing board. My daughter asked me if I wanted to play and I said sure. I jumped on and because it was te Wii Fit, it asked if I wanted to create the character/program. My wight, 199#'s. I was happy, I was under 200. My daughter gasped though.

On the gasp and New Years resolution knocking, I decided to do something about my weight. Here is a picture of  me a few days ago with my boys at the pool.


My current weigh is 163#'s. I dropped the 36 pounds in three months and have remained the same weight the last two months. I only got on the scale at the end of the month - yes, just one weigh in a month. I was happy with the 14, 13, and 9 pound weigh loss to get me to 163.

I never had a goal weight. Instead it was more, let my body lose the weight and let my body choose where I am going to be stable and I think it will be around 165. Now, i love math and did some numbers and there is a small (very small) part of me that wants to lose 4 pounds. Not so much to squeeze under 160 and be at 159 but if I did go to 159, that would be a 53# weight loss or from a % standpoint - 25% of my body weight is gone - I would have lost 1/4 of myself.

I am not sure if I had a picture last summer of me with my shirt off, I was too much ashamed. At June, it will be 6 months. Maybe, I can take the approach the first 6 months was lose it and the next 6 months is build it. So, in July, I could start working out and building muscle ?? I will need help with that.

212 Never Again (I pray)


2 comments:

Chad said...

How'd you do it?

Thoughts From Jeff said...

Chad, I really followed 3 simple rules:

- eat less
- drink more water
- walk more

I did not eliminate anything from my diet. I still hit the meat and potatoes when we did the buffet. I still ate our Friday night pizza and Saturday morning donuts.

I increased my steps a day by an average of 6,000 steps. Instead of hoping in the car to go to the bank, a little over a mile; I walked.

I try to have water as much as possible; need to work on that more.