Friday, June 01, 2012

They Said What ?

 
 
 Over the last few weeks, I have been thinking about my life and the ministry that I have been involved in over the last five years. The last two years have been vastly different than the previous three. There is a newer song out by Sidewalk Prophets called "Live Like That" and it has my mind racing even more with the questions about ministry, life and purpose. Below in the quotes are the words of the song and then below the words are some thoughts that I am wrestling with.
Sometimes I think
What will people say of me
When I'm only just a memory
When I'm home where my soul belongs

Was I love
When no one else would show up
Was I Jesus to the least of those
Was my worship more than just a song

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

If love is who I am
Then this is where I'll stand
Recklessly abandoned
Never holding back

I want to live like that
I want to live like that

Am I proof
That You are who you say You are
That grace can really change a heart
Do I live like Your love is true

People pass
And even if they don't know my name
Is there evidence that I've been changed
When they see me, do they see You

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

If love is who I am
Then this is where I'll stand
Recklessly abandoned
Never holding back

I want to live like that
I want to live like that


I want to show the world the love You gave for me
I'm longing for the world to know the glory of the King

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

If love is who I am
Then this is where I'll stand
Recklessly abandoned
Never holding back

I want to live like that
I want to live like that

If I died (maybe morbid to think about) a few years ago while in Wooster, I think that I would have been missed there much more than if I would die here today in Fishers (not that I am planning on dying). The reason that I say that is fairly simple; I do believe.

In Wooster, I was involved and connected to the community. In Lawrence/Fishers, I was not really connected. In Wooster, I was involved in numerous aspects of life. Here is a small sampling:

- weekly route with Meals on Wheels
- weekly volunteer at the free medical clinic
- participant in the interfaith partnership
- board of directors with ending poverty in Wayne county
- serving meals at dz
- advocate for health insurance for the uninsured (kinda ironic now)

Those are just a few of the things and that was me personally, not including the aspects that we were involved in with the church or the schools.

In Fishers and Lawrence, the volunteerism has really not occurred. Now, I was active in trying to get us (CTS) into the city and we partnered with Meet Me Under The Bridge (serving the homeless), Men's Shelter (serving the men there) and the Women's & Children Shelter (hosting fellowship nights).

But it has not been the same.

Now, in the song, I believe that I have constantly showed loved and in my work (currently stocking shelves), I try to live this out there and with my co-workers. But, there is always that but in my life ....

I want to make sure that when I am gone and people are talking that they say, he was a man of love and he made a difference in our community.

I have no idea where my job search will land me and what my next step will be, but whether it be here, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota or Hong Kong; I want to show the community love and grace.

No comments: