Thursday, October 01, 2009

Time ....

Time seems to be going by at a very quick pace. Between family activities, church events and the continual tweaking of Sunday Night Live ..... there is not much time.

This past weekend was a rough one for me. A church friend passed away. I was in the church office on Saturday morning doing some final prep for ministry on Sunday when the phone rang. Normally with it being Saturday, I would have let it go through but I picked it up. It was the ER nurse at our local hospital.

She was looking for Pastor because a family had requested his presence. At first, I thought it might be a "chaplain" call because he is one of the chaplains there but with a question or two, I found it was a church family. I asked her if she could ask the family to release the name, they did and when she said Bill Ports, I almost fell out of my chair.

Bill Ports was a loving and compassionate man that supported me and the youth ministry through verbal and financial support. He was also one of those men who was around the church 2-3 times a week. I am going to miss him greatly.

One of the reasons that I am still in shock is that less than 24 hours before his death, he was in my office talking about ministry. He was sharing with me ideas about a "toy drive" for Christmas and who the drive would benefit (our local community kids). We were going to meet this week to put more meat to the bones ......

Talking about time, I need to get in the bath. We are headed up to the Cleveland Clinic today for an appointment for Isaiah and Bethany. Then, my to-do-list to get the things accomplished is extensive and the in-laws are coming in late tonight. We will see if I get everything done.

BTW, Sunday Night Live, week 2 went very well.

No comments: