Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Present Future: Part 1



I am going to be doing a series on this. For me, it is agoing to be a journey. The journey will not only reflect my thoughts on the issues in the book, but how they play out in my ministry context and I will also be giving insight from our church as our church council works through the book.

Here is the "summary" on the inside flap.

Many of the old beliefs held by church leaders and congregations read as if they are self-evident, irrefutable truths - if you bild the perfect church they will come .... Growing your church automatically makes a difference in the community ... Developing better church members will mean better evangelism .... Time has failed to produce the evidence of these claims.

In the book, Reggie debunks these and other old assumptions and provides an overall strategy to help church leaders move forward in an entirely different and much more effective way.

It is a 6 chapter book with each chapter focusing on a reality that he believes the church must address. I am looking forward to expressing his thoughts and then processing them. The book is stirring inside me and they (the book thoughts) are flowing through in some of my conversations (ym boards) and people are disagreeing .. and I think that is great because it shows the struggle we are having in the church.

No comments: