Monday, June 18, 2007

The wreck: One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, my wife and three kids were traveling North on I-65. They were 20 miles south of Indianapolis. I was approx. 10 miles behind them in a 26 ft. U-Haul van.

An individual traveling south bound fell asleep at the whell, hit a car going southbound and then crossed over the median going 70+ MPH and my wife T-Boned him on her side of the interstate ( right hand lane ).

The impact caused my wife to flip the car approxiametly three times while landing in the trees upside down. Below are 3 pictures of the cars after the accident.

This picture is the front of her car.



This picture is a close-up of her car and the driver side, showing the windshield and impact and grass on roof.



Here is the pic of the other guys car who crossed over the median and caused the accident.



I have not done much regarding the accident - as champion a cause. There are numerous ones out there. One that my wife will fight for ( car seats vs. booster seats ).

But there are two more in my opinion. One, we need to look at and punishing driving asleep just like we do DUI. They can harm or kill and there needs to be some accountability. The minimal ... a ticket ???

The next is the barriers in the median. If the barriers were there, the car would have not come across the median and hit my family. The state of Indiana is working on a measure to get this accomplished and Tippecanoe county is going to accomplish all of their interstate miles with them.

More on that later.

Today, on the anniversary, I praise God that they are all alive.

No comments: