Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Unity

I am reading "simple student ministry" and two paragraphs jumped off the page tonight. Here they are:

Selfish behavior and selfish mind-sets always produce disunity. Disunity, in return, destroys the alignment of a group of people who are on the same mission. No longer is everyone striving to accomplish the same mission, but rather his or her own version of what that mission should be.

People who are called to the same mission but act independently of each other aren't unified. Simply existing together or wearing the same student ministry shirts doesn't ensure alignment. Players can be on the same team but have completely different goals.


I know that unity has been a problem forever, but that does not mean that we should throw it to the wayside. as Eric Geiger says, " when believers are unified, an unbelieving world is attracted. "

Individuals, those outside of the church, will be attracted to church and Christian who show great love and unity to one another.

I think that many times, Jesus must be up in heaven wiping away tears ( yeah, I know the scripture of no tears in heaven ), going, "I wish they could just get along". I think he could then lean into his Father and go, " I think that is why so many people love us, but do not like the church "

Maybe, I am wrong and maybe i am nuts; but i think that we need re-alignment in many churches and I think that we need to be intentional about it.

No comments: