Thursday, January 22, 2009

Volunteer-ism in our county

15 months ago, I was challenged by Erin ( Decompressing Faith ). She invited me to participate in a synchroblog that was entitled WWJDWTC. You can find my original post here.

Anyways, out of the post came my commitment to help in my community. One of those areas where I am helping is delivering meals th the homeward bound via Meals on Wheels.

Well, this past Friday, it was cold - very cold. I went out and hit the route with everyone else. I want to share a letter with you that I received that I believe is remarkable and shows a great spirit of volunteer-ism in our community.

As I write this letter, on Friday, it is still -7 outside (without the wind chill), at 11:30 in the morning. On a day like today, I'm reminded of the dedication of our volunteers to the mission of Meals on Wheels of Stark & Wayne County.

Remarkably, today we had no call-offs from our volunteers. From the early morning hours, when it was as cold as -15 in some areas, right through our regularly scheduled delivery times, all of you weathered the cold and filfilled your pledge to our Agency and the people we serve.

It was a remarkable display of commitment and compassion, for which I am personally grateful. On behalf of all of us at Meals On Wheels of Stark & Wayne Counties, thank-you for a job well done. We appreciate your loyalty and faithful service. It makes a significant difference in the lives of the homebound people we all serve.


I also think that is remarkable and shows the great spirit of volunteer-ism that is out there in our county and our country ----- people truly want to help people and will help when given the opportunity.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow, that really is huge. I know I would have been pretty unwilling to go out in that cold...the only thing I think could motivate me is the knowledge that someone was truly counting on me, and I could endure for a few hours.