Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Leadership

Here are some things that "resonated" with me this past week as I read some of the writings of Andy Stanley on Leadership.

Leaders must challenge the process precisely because any system will unconsciously conspire to maintain the status quo and prevent change.

Accepting the status quo is the equivalent of accepting a death sentence.

Leaders challenge what is for the sake of what could and should be.

A leader is someone who has the courage to say publicly what everyone else is whispering quietly.

Leaders have been given the assignment to take people places they’ve never been before.

Courage is the willingness to move in a direction in spite of the emotions and thoughts that bid you to do otherwise.

Leadership is about moving boldly into the future in spite of uncertainty and risk.

Leaders can much more easily live with the prospects of having tried and failed than not having tried at all. Leaders fear missed opportunities more than they fear an unsuccessful enterprise.

I am in the midst of trying to lead change in a few areas and I am struggling in some ways as I go through the process and these statements helped me think through some of the obstacles that I am/will face.

No comments: